How to Turn One-Time Gifts into Year-Round Gifts, Lesson
Lesson #1: Why Recurring Giving?
Uncover what recurring giving is and why it’s the key to cultivating generosity. Learn how recurring gifts help better budget and forecast for future missions. Plus, watch a quick video that uses real statistics to demonstrate how a recurring giver can impact your church’s vision throughout the year.
Watch the video and read the lesson below!Learn More
Before exploring why your church needs to implement recurring giving, let’s look at what it is:
Recurring giving is when people complete a one-time set up to schedule a gift that’s automatically deducted from their credit card or bank account on a repeated basis.
It isn’t a complicated or new concept, but it’s proven to increase overall giving. That’s why it’s surprising how many ministries put recurring giving on the backburner.
What makes recurring giving so impactful?
- Recurring givers are 75% more likely to make additional one-time gifts versus occasional givers
- The average recurring giver donates 42% more in a given year than someone who gives a handful of one-time gifts
- 52% of Millennials (typically some of the least engaged givers in a congregation) are interested in a monthly giving option—there’s a reason automation’s exploding
What makes year-end the ideal time to share recurring giving?
- Christmas Eve is the 2nd highest attendance day of the year
- 65% of people are more likely to attend a church service around Christmas versus the rest of the year
- 91% of average churchgoers attend church in December
- 30% of annual giving happens in December
- At the end of the day—generosity peaks during year-end and more people are engaged with the church
What benefits do churches see throughout the year?
- Smooths out seasonal dips in generosity
- Increases overall giving
- Creates consistent givers
- Helps forecast for upcoming building funds and mission trip
If you don’t already know, find out if your church offers recurring giving. If you offer it, identify how many people are using this option to give and evaluate your current plan to promote it.
Now that we know why recurring giving is one of the best solutions to increase overall generosity, it’s time to learn How Recurring Giving Works.